I'm at work starting to freak out because I don't know if Heidi is alive or dead. At this point I decide to leave work right then (it was also 4:00 anyways, what's 30 more mins.) and it was an emergency in my book. So I text Katie about 15 mins later since she hasn't called me back and the text says "at the vet, she's foaming at the mouth get here" holy cow.. here come the tears!! I leave work and my mind is racing a mile a minute. I was leaving on Wednesday right after work to head to ATL for my girls trip. I had planned to meet Travis for a nice dinner and hang out til Holly and Liz made it to ATL. All that changed in a second. I went straight to the vet's office and found mom, dad and katie all a wreck. Heidi was in the back getting some tests run and the vet said that her temp. was good and she probably just drank the water too fast and got sick. She threw up a few times at home and then started foaming at the mouth. The vet did a few x-rays and found a tumor in Heidi's stomach the size of a grapefruit :(

Looks all happy at the vet
A tumor the size of a grapefruit?!! The vet tells us that if it was his dog he would go to the animal hospital and let them do a few more tests and see how bad the tumor is and go from there, so we all load up and head to the vet hosital. We arrived and the nurse says "are ya'll ok, you don't look too good".... well no crap our dog is dying so no we're not good stupid!! Ugh!!
At this point it's about 6:00 pm and I still have to go home and get all my stuff and get on the road before it gets too late. I start saying my good byes and man that was tough!!! Whew! I never want to go through that again!

Before I leave mom tells me that my grandmother called her on the way to the animal hospital and my grandfather was back at the hospital with a high fever. How much more can we take today??!! At this point I'm thinking about not even going on the trip but mom says not to worry about him and that she would call me if anything happened with Heidi or Koco. BTW Koco is fine. He's still fighting a bad infection and they gave him more medicine.
I finally get on the road and arrive about 8:30. I don't even remember driving to ATL. I cried a lot and tried to think of all the happy times with Heidi. Holly's plane is running late so Travis said we should still go to dinner and it might help me get my mind off of everything. I looked like an emotional wreck, no make up, hair all crazy but the steak was very yummy and just what I needed. :)
The vet kept Heidi over night and mom picked her up the next day and brought her home. We decided as a family to keep Heidi at home and just let her die at home. She's not eating a lot and sleeps most of the day. We want her last few months to be peaceful and at home with her family.

Heidi is 16 years old and we know she can't live forever. All we can do is love on her and make these last months/days the best she's ever had!
No comments:
Post a Comment